- Our Curriculum Intent
- Helping Your Child get Ready for School
- Helping Your Child
- Helping Your Child with Early Writing
- Curriculum Overviews for each Year Group
- Religious Education
- Speaking and Listening
- Bug Club online reading at home
- Physical Education
- Art and Design
- Design and Technology
Phonics is taught for 15-20 minutes every day in Reception to Year 2. The children always begin the lesson by revising what they have already been taught, then they learn a new sound, practise it and then apply it to their reading or writing.
Phonics Tests in Year 1 (Phonics Screening Test)
Phonics tests help to confirm whether your child has made the expected progress. This takes place in June for Year 1 children and is a mix of 40 real words and non-words. This test is carefully designed and administered not to be stressful for your child.
How can you help your child?
- Play lots of listening games, including 'I spy' and 'I am thinking of a ....'
- Make the correct pronunciation of the phoneme.
- Say the sound and its name.
- Talk to your child about the homework they bring home. This is what they have been learning in school during the week. Use this to help them apply it to their reading and writing.
- Don't let your child become reliant on sounding out every word. There are lots of words you cannot sound out.
For useful Phonics activities, please visit the following websites
Reception - Working on Phase 2 & 3
Year 1 - Working on Phase 3, 4 & 5
Year 2 - Working on Phase 5 & 6